Friday, February 6, 2009

Just a Little Self-Control

I haven't been here in quite a few days and have missed it terribly. I love this place, but find it difficult to carve out time to devote here. Regardless, I have made it here today. Hooray!

I am now reading 1 Samuel. In chapter 15, I was slapped in the face as I saw a not so wonderful part of me in the character of Saul. God had given Saul strict orders when conquering the Amalekites, "Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation - ..." As if the words "completely" and "entire" did not clarify God's wishes, He proceeds, "men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels and donkeys." (v. 3) (I will refrain from any explanation for God wanting children and babies killed because that is not why I write today.) We see God redundantly tell Saul to destroy it all when conquering this people.

But, Saul fell victim to the insatiable lust for more. Saul didn't just want it all, he was particular about his plunder. "Saul and his men spared Agag's (the king) life and kept everything ... that appealed to them. They destroyed only what was worthless or of poor quality." Boy this hits hard. Saul allowed his eyes and desires for more nice stuff to trump obedience to God.

We just recently built and moved into a new house. I am embarrassed to admit all the cash I went through when we moved in. New curtains (for every window), new vacuum cleaner, new air fresheners, new towels and shower curtain, new candles, new canisters for holding pet food and treats, new dish rags and towels (because of course old ones just could not be used in a new kitchen)... It is not what I bought or even that I did not put it on credit. It is the excess. I allowed my eyes and my desire for more nice stuff to trump God's desires for me and the new house He provided us. Because I had the money and I could, I did. I did not consult God or even wait to see what He might want to provide.

God isn't calling us not to have anything, just not to have everything. He knows the human heart can never really have everything. "No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content." (Ecclesiastes 1:8) (This verse reminds me of how I allow advertising to lure me into that insatiable lust for more and better.)

Only God satisfies. "For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." (Psalm 107:9) What am I hungry for? Will I let God satisfy me? Sometimes that means exhibiting a little self-control. My husband says it best, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."