Sunday, February 22, 2009

Comfort Food

Today as I read in 1 Peter my soul feasted on fair that my God used to wrap His arms around me. There are many times when He speaks that He seeks transformation in me. Today was a day where He just poured down his love by confirming His desires for me through the Truth in His Word.

It began in chapter 4 verses 2 & 3, “You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy…” In the past couple of weeks, He’s called me to try some new things and expand others, none of which were even on my radar when I moved to this new place almost a year ago. Some things seem crazy, yet, as I follow through in obedience, He proves Himself faithful. It is just as these verses describe. I anticipate the next thing He spurs me to participate in with Him and no longer cling to the desires of my flesh.

I laugh out loud at the next few verses and His very relevant, very literal Word to my precious heart. “… be earnest and disciplined in your prayers.” (1 Peter 4:7) He called me specifically to pray for my son today after I read in 1 Peter. (Read blog entry “Birthday Presents.”) Next, I read, “God has given you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies.” (1 Peter 4:10-11) We are all gifted in different ways as the verses suggest, but it’s crazy that God has been stretching me in these two primary areas. He’s been asking me to speak out about His work in my life and to devote intentional time each week to helping others. These verses just reaffirm that I am hearing Him correctly.


Thank you, God. Thank you for keeping me on your path and letting me know that I’m right where you want me. “Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.” (1 Peter 4:11)