Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Voice of Reason

Boy, sometimes I get a hot head over mistreatment by others. When I have gone out of my way to be nice and good to them and they come back at me with cutting words or are totally unappreciative, I can burn with rage inside. A lot of times that rage spews forth in words and intended vengeance.

David is not any different. He is human like me, feeling very frustrated at a figurative slap in the face. "A lot of good it did to help this fellow. We protected his flocks in the wilderness and nothing he owned was lost or stolen. But he has repaid me evil for good. May God strike me and kill me if even one man of his household is still alive tomorrow morning." (1 Samuel 5:21-22) Talk about rage and vengeance... David was going to kill this man and all his family, too.

What I hate most about feeling this wretched way is listening to someone who is sensible and tries to talk me down from my mountain of deserved anger and bitterness. I deserve to feel this way and there's nothing anyone can say or do to change my mind. I will especially not back down from my miserable position because the other person does not deserve to be let off the hook.

Yet David reacts differently when approached by the voice of reason named Abigail. "David replied to Abigail, 'Praise the Lord, the God of Israel, who has sent you to me today! Thank God for your good sense!' " (1 Samuel 25:32-33)

Would I ever be willing to let go of my anger and listen to such a voice of reason? "Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:31-32) Aren't I too undeserving of forgiveness? Yet my Heavenly Father has forgiven me. Jesus himself reminds us in Luke 6, “But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also. Give to anyone who asks; and when things are taken away from you, don’t try to get them back. Do to others as you would like them to do to you. If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them! And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much!" (vv.27-33)

May my response next time be as David's, "Bless you for keeping me from [vengeance]." (1 Samuel 25:33)