Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birthday Presents

Today my little man has turned five! A milestone… looking ahead this fall to Kindergarten and realizing he is no longer a baby. My first thoughts of him this morning imagined his excitement when he would tear open his real Fender Stratacaster Mini (i.e. electric guitar). I so delight in giving him his desires.

Yet, I was reminded of something more important that I can give him. I began asking God a few years ago to give me some Scripture to pray for my handsome little devil. He brought those two Scriptures to my mind this morning and asked me to recommit myself to desiring fulfillment of the things of this precious one’s spirit. God was asking me to get back to the place where I long for my boy to mature in his relationship with his Heavenly Father even more than I desire to give him his physical wants.

I pray: “My son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him… Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you… May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.” (1 Chronicles 28:9, 20; Numbers 6:24-26)

Wanting to give my sweet musician his wish was not wrong, even God feels this way toward us (Psalm 34:7), but God used it to teach me. Oh, that I always remain teachable! “Tune your ears to wisdom and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver, seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord and you will gain knowledge of God.” (Proverbs 2:2-5)