Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hard Choices

Most times I come here I have a good idea what will end up on the page. Today I'm not so sure. I'm drawn to write here... now..., but unsure where today's journey will take us.

I have been digging in 2 Peter 1 for the past few days. Every verse seems to be screaming depth into my heart and mind. I want to fully grasp it all so have stayed put for the past few days until all is discovered.

I take you to verse 3, "By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life." Do you ever find it easier to be Jesus to perfect strangers or even acquaintances than to those you are closest to? That is my current position. I feel His divine power to be His hands, feet, ears, and mouth out there, but at home it is quite a different picture. Inside these walls I struggle to live in the fullness of who God is, yet this verse reminds me He has already given me what I need. I should not think it a difficult task to love my two boys because then I am not believing the Truth of His Word that speaks to me today.

I continue to receive what I need by staying in the Word. "We have received all of this by coming to know him..." (v. 3) The more I seek to know Him, the more He gives me for living a godly life. "...[H]e has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires." (v.4) It is a choice. If I choose to accept this gift, I get His divine nature living through me in my words and actions, AND I escape the world's corruption. OR, I choose my own human desires, my way, what I want.

Staying in the Word reminds me that I do have a choice to fight my flesh when screaming uncontrollably at the overactive five year old chasing a giant dog inside the house seems like my only option. Staying in the Word reminds me of my choice to intentionally build my husband up with words of affirmation instead of spouting off all about me. Staying in the Word reminds me that it is a choice to die to my wants and ways and instead think of others before myself. "Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too." (Philippians 2:3-4)

He's given me all I need for living a godly life inside my home, but I have to want it more than I want my own way. It is my choice. Will I choose the power of His divine nature dwelling within me or will I choose my own?

I really like my way... it is so hard to let go... I am not strong enough... I am weak... "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9) And so I choose obedience to Your call for me inside my home. "For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10) ..."For I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13) May I be your hands, feet, ears and mouth inside my home as well.