Thursday, January 1, 2009

Organization 101

I began reading in Numbers today. I tackled chapters 1 & 2. As I read, my eyes seemed to reveal, in all the mandates from God, His specific organization of all those people. The Israelites have escaped from Egypt and are now wandering the wilderness in search of a "land flowing with milk and honey." In my mind, I picture several hundred people of which Moses and Aaron are given charge. But, as Moses and Aaron and Aaron's sons "record the names of all the warriors by their clans and families" (1:2), they discover themselves leading over 600,000. (Note: The 600,000 counted are only those that fit the warrior description. This excludes women, children and the elderly men)

Keeping this number in mind I read on to chapter two. "The Lord gave these instructions to Moses and Aaron. 'When the Israelites set up camp, each tribe will be assigned its own area. The tribal divisions will camp beneath their family banners on all four sides of the Tabernacle, but at some distance from it... All the tribes are the travel in the same order that they camp, each in position under the appropriate family banner.'" (2:1-2, 17) God was interested in the details. He was organized and knew that organization was far better than over 600,000 people wandering in chaos.

If He was this specific with such a large group of people, wouldn't it be so much easier for Him to be concerned about organizing the specifics of little ole me? After all, the Israelites were merely 600,000 or so "little ole me's." Do I take the time to listen to His specific plans for my life? Do I even take the time to ask Him what His specific plans are for me?

What if I did listen? What if I did hear and follow through? What would be my fate? I only know, "...the people of Israel did everything as the Lord had commanded Moses. Each clan and family set up camp and marched under their banners exactly as the Lord had instructed them." (2:34) (At least they followed instructions at this point in their wandering.) Life was good. If God can make life move smoothly for that many, what could He do with my life if I allowed Him the opportunity to organize my specifics?

"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives." (Psalm 37:23 NLT)