Monday, January 26, 2009

If... then...

When I read in the Old Testament, I am face to face with a people, a chosen people, who are so incredibly human. I quickly begin asking myself questions of these people as I read wondering how in the world... Then like a ton of bricks, I am hit with the realization that I am no different. My want for them to be different stirs in me the same desire for God to transform me.

Now I am faced with the words on the page. "The the people of Israel made this vow to the Lord, 'If you will hand these people over to us, we will completely destroy all their towns.'" (Numbers 21:2) These Israelites are playing the game I so often participate in with God. "God, if you will just __________, then I will __________ ." Will I ever come to God without an agenda? An agenda of my own humanness? Oh, how I wish to die to this self-righteous, self-seeking flesh!

In my desire to be different, more than slave to this human, sinful nature, I am looking directly at God wanting to answer. I knew without reading any more just how this story would end, but just in case He provides the inevitable ending so we are sure to get the message. "The Lord heard the Israelites' request and gave them victory..." (Numbers 21:3) God answers! He gives! How do I repay Him? Much like the Israelites I'm sad to say. "Then the people of Israel set out from Mount Hor... But the people grew impatient with the long journey, and they began to speak against God and Moses." (Numbers 21:4,5) Little needs be said... (I can only hope I allow Him to transform me before He sends snakes. "So the Lord sent poisonous snakes among the people, and many were bitten and died." (Numbers 21:6))

God desires to be a visible force in my life, blessing me and thus drawing me unto Him through those blessings. May I remember it is a relationship He desires. The blessings and answered "prayers" are a means of showing His love for me, a wooing of sorts.

Oh Lord, if you love me like Your Word says, then I too desire to share in relationship with you.