Monday, June 22, 2009

Truth vs. Lies

Our minds fill with thoughts constantly. These thoughts indicate what we believe. By allowing untruths to inhabit our minds, we believe lies. To practice the verb of believing God’s Truth, we must “fix our thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” (Philippians 4:8)

My thought life is where I often accept defeat. He reminds me of this when He says, “You make alliances not directed by my Spirit…” (Isaiah 30:1) My thoughts are in agreement with the enemy’s words to me not God’s Holy Spirit, thus bringing about my downfall. “I cry out to God; yes I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help.” (Psalm 77:1-3)

But, God doesn’t want this for me. He wants victorious living. “For I have chosen you and will not throw you away. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” (Isaiah 41:9-10) It is the belief in the lie, the alliance not directed by His Spirit, that has gotten me to this place. So, I must instead decide to believe Him and not the lie if there is any hope of rescue. I must decide to participate in His miracle for me by changing the way I think through agreement in my mind with His Spirit.

“But then I recall all you have done, O Lord; I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago. They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works. O God, your ways are holy. Is there any god as mighty as you? You are the God of great wonders! You demonstrate your awesome power among the nations. By your strong arm, you redeemed your people…” (Psalm 77:11-15) He adds, “Instead of dwelling in thought patterns contrary to who you know Me to be, ‘remember the things I have done in the past. For I alone am God! I am God, and there is none like me.’” (Isaiah 46:9)


God has done and continues to do a mighty work in my life for His glory. My thoughts must reflect who I know Him to be. “My dear, combat the enemy’s lies with the Truth of who ‘I AM.’” (Exodus 3:14) Changing any behavior requires a conscious effort. It must be the same for my thought life as well.