Monday, June 15, 2009

Marsh Grass

I have had a wild ride through Isaiah these past few days. God has been pouring out His glorious goodness upon the parched ground of my desperate soul. "Then the Lord will bless you with rain... So it will be when the Lord begins to heal his people and cure the wounds he gave them." (Isaiah 30:23,26)

In Isaiah 35, I read again of the mighty rescue God has planned for me. "There the Lord will display his glory, the splendor of our God. With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands, and encourage those who have weak knees. Say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong and do not fear, for your God is coming to destroy your enemies. He is coming to save you." (vv. 2-4) For in this place, this new town, this new home, this new church, this place of seemingly endless sadness dragging me down inside, "there the Lord will display his glory... [my] God is coming to save me" and seeks to encourage me by His Word.

As I kept reading, I knew He very well meant "this" place because I read, "Marsh grass and reeds and rushes will flourish where desert jackals once lived... Lions will not lurk along its course." (v. 7, 9) My life's journey has taken me in and out of my own wilderness desert. Jackals have hunted, attacked and feasted on my life. I have lived in fear of the great lion, the devil (1 Peter 5:8), who has literally lurked around every corner waiting to devour me in my depression. But, God promises a different life to me in these verses, a life that flourishes, a life that no longer fears these predators. In this place He has brought our family, we literally cannot turn to the right or to the left without seeing marsh grass, reeds and rushes. I know full well He means for each sight of this beautiful grassy wetland to be a reminder of this incredible promise He has for me.

Then He caps off my moments in this chapter with verse 10. "Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness." Then comes His tender, sweet voice, "Your depression will disappear and you will be filled with joy and gladness. The marsh grass around you is a reminder of my promises to you. I love you, my dear! Believe My promises!"