Monday, May 9, 2011

It Takes Two...

Pondering Isaiah 7, I am stuck on verse 10. "Unless your faith is firm, I cannot make you stand firm."  It's not all God's part.  This "thing" is a relationship.  It takes two...

How often do I look at my life and think that God just didn't come through? This one little verse reminds me that I have a part to play.  It's not about a god in total control of an uncooperative, unwilling puppet.  Living is about a real trust placed in a real being according to the depth of the relationship.

How firm can my faith be if there is little or no personal experience with whom I am placing my faith?  Trust is incomprehensible without knowing the person being trusted.  Relationship is where it's cultivated.

If I want to stand firm in the face of fear, I must have a firm faith.  Firm faith in God occurs only through knowing him deeply, intimately in the context of real relationship.